For the dough:
- All-purpose Flour 2 pounds
- Butter 20 ounces
- Cream Cheese 16 ounces
For the filling:
- Dulce de Leche 13 ounces
- Pecan Nuts (finely chopped) 1 pound
Method of Preparation
1. In a bowl add the flour, butter, and cream cheese.
2. Start folding the ingredients together until they incorporate and make a dough. This process takes about 30 to 45 minutes.
3. Let the dough rest for 24 hours.
4. Once the dough has rested, separate the dough into small portions so it can be rolled out to a 1/16” thickness.
5. Once extended, cut the dough with a circle cookie cutter of about 2 ½” in diameter.
6. Each dough circle is then topped with ¼ teaspoon of dulce de leche, and 1/2 teaspoon of chopped pecan nuts.
7. Fold each circle in half and seal the edges with egg wash, or just water.
8. Place the turnovers in a flat sheet tray and add egg wash on top.
9. Bake in the oven for 18 minutes at 350 °F.
10. Broil if needed for 30 seconds.
11. This dough will make about 6 dozen pecan turnovers.